Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Joy of Christmas


These are the children who came to the Carol concert. It was a great night-apparently the best the school has ever done (in 17 years!) the turn out was huge-the children bought their parents, siblings, grandparents and other relatives. The performance by the kids was great-very clear pronounciation. The Polsih carols are great too. I got my students in class to translate some into English and the words are really powerful.
Speaking of pronounciation..... I did my first anouncement in Polish at Church a week ago. I was so nervous!! But the Church was very encouraging and many people came up and spoke to me (in Polish) afterwards. My Polish is slowly improving but is far from the level needed to hold a conversation. I have a few friends who don't speak English and we communicate ok-but it can be frustrating at times.
In the past few weeks I had the opportunity to visit and teach 2 groups in a public school. It was a great experience to see how Polish classrooms work. I did a lesson on stereotypes and Australia. It was really sweet as one of the girlscame up to me timidly afterwards and told me that a History teacher had told them that the thieves, criminals, murderers and other bad people where sent to Australia. She wanted to know if this was true! The same week I gave someone a gift-a toy kangaroo with an Australian flag. They asked me if there are a lot of squirrels in Australia :-) Australia is covered with mystery here as it is so far away. I have been asked if Australia is near Hawaii and when watching Crocodile Dundee with some Americans I had to translate both becase of Aussie slang and the accent.
The youth outreach event went well with over 20 people attending the cave like cafe. It was interactive and thought provoking.
Please pray that the people who attended the weekends events will think deeply about their relationships with God this Christmas.

1 Comments:

At 9:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are going well - it's good to hear you are polishing up on your Polish!

A few of the people living in Rangiora have trouble with the Australian accent sometimes - I can imagine it would be fun see-ing where Americans see things differently!

I'll pray for your work over Christmass

- John

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home